Lolita Fashion - Dolls - Historic Homes - Art - Sewing - Creative Writing - Film - Literature - All things cute!

Sunday 8 November 2015

Inspiration: Black Historical Gowns

On Pinterest I've seen a lot of black gowns recently, and with winter ahead of us I think these historical garments would look fabulous for the party season - especially those 1920s dresses!
Here are some examples that I found particularly beautiful.




Here are three examples of a 1920s robe de style, which someday I am hoping to make in black taffeta or silk.


Edwardian women in black.


1930s gown with an inset of cream lace.


I haven't seen a date for this dress, but I think it is from the 1950s? Isn't it gorgeous!



Another two Edwardian ladies wearing black, curvaceous gowns.


Princess Dagmar of Denmark in 1866. I love the sleeves and hair!


And finally, another example from the late Victorian and early Edwardian period. The stripes are divine, and that hat is drool-worthy; I think it has white bird or angel wings on it!

2 comments:

  1. Marvelous post idea and series of elegant black dress examples. The mid-30s lace adorned number in particular turned my knees to jelly. I really enjoyed this lovely post, sweet dear. Thank you for penning it.

    Happy mid-November wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jessica! The 30s dress is rather swoon-worthy, I agree. I have no place to wear it, but I've already mentally considered how to make it!

      Happy November to you also,
      Ellie

      Delete