Lolita Fashion - Dolls - Historic Homes - Art - Sewing - Creative Writing - Film - Literature - All things cute!

Saturday 3 October 2015

The Great Gatsby

So far I've been really lucky to see a lot of shows at the theater, my favourite pastime; Jeeves and Wooster in Perfect Nonsense, Wicked, Blood Brothers, Murdered to Death (another 1920s drama-comedy), and Dracula. If anybody wants to take me out on a date, you know what would make me love you forever... ;)
Tonight I went to the Atkinson in Southport with my mother to see The Great Gatsby.


It was amazing! I wasn't expecting it to be so good, as historical love stories are not usually my cup of tea. Nor was I expecting the ending to be so tragic - poor Mr Gatsby! - but I thoroughly enjoyed it. All the actors were fabulous; all of them were so talented, even playing musical instruments throughout and in between their acting parts!
The costumes were gorgeous too, and now I really covet some black velvet trousers like what Jordan Baker wore in one of the scenes. There were a lot of beaded shrugs, long strings of pearls, and feathered headdresses, as expected of a 1920s drama, and I loved it! It makes me want to attempt the one hour 1920s dress for the first time.

As for the story, I liked that too, even if it was very sad in the end. The story is that Mr Gatsby throws many lavish parties at his mansion at Long Island, all to attract the attention of a girl he was once engaged to, Daisy. In the end I really grew to hate Daisy as it seemed she didn't care a jot for Gatsby, even after all he's done for her.

Now I need to watch the film and read the book! I'm looking forward to more 1920s decadence.

No comments:

Post a Comment